Choosing to buy a new air conditioner or to keep the one you have for another year is a hard decision for some households in Fort Worth. Having several repairs done every year to your air conditioning unit can become costly, and a new air conditioner may be a big investment. Hawk Plumbing has a few helpful tips to help you make your decision.
- If you don’t know how old your air conditioner is and you’ve lived in your home for more than 15 years, it may be time to get a new unit. If you’ve never replaced it, then you have an incredibly old air conditioner! A new AC will work much better, and you won’t have to have it repaired or serviced as much.
- You must get a major repair to get your air conditioner working well again. At this point, you can decide to spend on repairs or spend on a new AC. A new air conditioner can give you some peace-of-mind because you don’t have to worry about it breaking down.
- If your air conditioner uses R-22 refrigerant, it is more expensive to get your air conditioner serviced with refrigerant than it is to get a new once serviced. The price difference is drastic because R-22 is being phased out.
- If your energy bills keep going up and your electric company hasn’t raised its rates, your air conditioner could be the reason for your higher energy bills. Get an air conditioner with a good SEER rating (the higher, the better) for your home, to save money on your energy bills.
- If you are getting ready to retire and you’ll have a limited budget, consider replacing your air conditioner in Fort Worth now, so you won’t have a major expense when you can’t afford it.
Considering the age and cost of any upcoming repairs for your air conditioner, you should be able to decide if a new unit is worth the investment this summer. Hawk Plumbing is available to help you decide on a new AC or get your old one repaired, so it works through the summer.